Wednesday 16 October 2013

16|10|13 - Open The Door - Speeches

We were told to create or finish the speech for the character we had played the most. As I have always played the Journalist I had to finish the speech that we started before. I used the story that we decided from before so the final product was this: 



Since checks file July 2010 the regime has systematically and brutally repressed, silenced any and all opposition. The rebel…corrects self… Anti-government forces have used this brutality as a justification for their own ferocity and despite the furrowing of international brows the UN seems to be implicitly in agreement by the inactions and silence: the ends justify the means.
Or do they... *click* Me and my colleague went out with caution *pause* knowledge that the rebel forces are no longer holding back with their brutal methods. This meant we saw a number of killi *pause* tragic deaths.  These people... civilians, are trapped in a constant warzone. *pause*
Families, such as one witnessed yesterday, torn apart *pause* a horrific event. A man shovelling of rubble, after an attack by local rebels, found a child, his own child. The way his face dropped was heart wrenching as he collected the torn*pause* mutilated body. The face must’ve only been recognisable to him for the explosion had discarded her right side of face and face upper torso. Still bleeding he walked... stumbled on. He sang a song, and although inaudible to myself, he continued to sing, through the pain and tears, looking forward.
We followed this man as he reached the house of a woman, unsure of what to do her quick response led her to clear her table and attempt to resuscitate the child. The father stood back, shaking.. trembling. The likely hood that both these civilians knew the ultimate outcome of death was certain. She gave tried everything but in the end, they were unsuccessful.

This was just one of many gruesome and heart breaking stories witnessed by myself and my photographer. A scene we will never forget, but it surely won’t be the last we see. Anarchy reining supreme, cutting a bloody path through the civilians, holding back at no cost. And we are simply watching it happen. 

Mr Chipp let us rehearse for 15 minutes which allowed us to think of certain tones for different sections. We then performed them to each other which allowed us to give constructive criticism. This allowed us to develop our speeches, I was told to add more emotion when talking about the child, I also got told to create more corrections and that a tone should add to the reporter character by being more formal. He also wanted us to add the interactive aspect of our speeches that would get the audience to engage as we would talk directly to them. 

Mr Chipp then decided that this would be a good time to give out parts as the structure of the entire play had been set and we were now going through adding the interaction and we'd need to focus on this in our characters which would let us develop our characters personally. 

The Cast:

The Journalist: (both casts)
Myself - 

Photographer :
Matt Goodband - 

& Emily Giles - 

Army Guard:
Chris Doyle - 

& Alex Mellor - 




Sir did used my speech as a base and then improvised interaction so I could get an idea for the tone in which I should talk to the audience. This was really helpful to see how he wanted it to be done as I got an idea of the language that would be best to use. 

I now had time to look into my character as it was set. We researched Maria Colvin, an american journalist who died in the conflict in Syria. Aspects I wanted to make me character were 
-controlling. I wanted my character to be the person that takes the decisions and makes the final choices. 
-caring. I wanted her to look beyond just her job. She connects with stories and people on a more emotional level, but I don't want to make her to over emotional. 
-mature. I wanted her to have a sense of knowledge that appears throughout. 

I'm now going to add these aspects when performing to create a stronger performance with a more believable character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment