Wednesday 15 April 2015

15|4|15 - Singing Techniques - Finalising the Programme

Within my final discussion with Chipp, I want to make sure I have the timings right so I could set in stone how the evening will plan out. 

With 10 to 15 minutes of 'chat' time we will have 3 solo's and a duet. 

Abbie - Somewhere that's green 
Carys - Castle on a cloud
Carys & Poppy - Falling Slowly
Poppy - I'll be here 

These songs don't have 'peaks' that use a climactic belting technique meaning that the audience will be able to continue conversations with music that is enjoyable but relaxed.

I decided to switch around 'I'll be here' and 'Say the word' due to the length of I'll be here and also it's downhearted nature. I feel that 'Say The Word' is enough of a slow ballad to offer variation with the programme but not bring a negative or atmosphere that might have been possible with the themes presented in the song 'I'll be here'. With solo's sandwiching a more lyrical, emotional ensemble piece I feel both solo's should be more positive, one being more upbeat than the other. I will be starting & finishing with 'Naughty' & 'Mama I'm a Big Girl Now' that involve a lot more movement and fit the light hearted nature of the awards evening a lot more enjoyable than perhaps ensembles that are overly serious. 

Here is a video of the actual performance night: 


Overall I feel that the evening was highly enjoyable for both performers and audience. The close nature of the group made created a great atmosphere. To improve I would either have live accompanists for the songs, this makes it easier for the performers as the accompanists will follow the singer on pace and volume, as I felt the volume of the music was too quiet, this is due to the fact that the person I requested to control volume was sat next to the speaker so it always sounded louder to her than the rest of the audience. This also could've been solved by having sound control panel at the back of the room, this means that the sound person would get an overall feel for the alterations needed on the volume. Due to this, I never had to worry about how quiet I was, but I had to focus a lot more on timing as I found it heard to hear cues in the backing tracks that I did during rehearsals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment