Wednesday 4 February 2015

4|2|15 - Directing Unit - "DNA - Final Performance"

Preparation 
We used two sets of lighting, one for the higher level and one for the group scenes on ground level. On the ground level we set cans and leaves around to get the atmosphere right. 

Evaluation 

- I felt that when Rachel and Lea posed as a 'head off' on the crate it looked to awkward due to the height of the crate. When done more aggressively and when the correct stance is made with the body it was very hit and miss to get the correct result and we didn't get the result in the actual performance. 

- We'd always had in that Cathy occupies herself while Rachel and Lea have it out with each other, she used to set to look through cans. Although, I feel this did look like an add on rather than something developed. 

- I feel we should have reminded the cast about the length of the stage, they remained very cramped and centered. We managed to fix this during one rehearsal but in a different space and I think due to nerves they forgot to check their spacial awareness. 

- I did like the fact that with the raised stage for scenes where the audience were meant to reflect were used and the intense group scenes the floor was used to make the audience feel like they were on the same level. 

- There was a lot of significance with Phil's 'no', as this is the only line he says within the scene, I wanted it to show the difference between Lea and Phil's thought process and I think that carried slightly. As Phil didn't need to justify himself, or appeal to Lea's thoughts, he thought was he thought. 

- Reflecting on the performance I wish I could've created a smooth way to transition between scenes without the use of blackouts. This is because the cast found it hard to transition with little light, and it often looked clumsy. I would've liked to do a clearing and entrance to each scene to make it feel like everything was happening chronologically to fit into a naturalistic style. 

- I feel that near the end the cast started to overlap their lines a little too much. We warned the cast that although they needed to have speedy entrances with their lines to not drop pace they shouldn't cut the other person off unless it has a purpose. 

- I feel like the cast didn't react to the slap as much as they had done in rehearsal, or as much as I would've liked from them which meant that the impact and realisation of Cathy's change in persona was not as clear. 

Here is a video of my discussing the directing process and evaluating more aspects of the final performance with Mr Chipp: 




No comments:

Post a Comment