Wednesday 26 November 2014

26|11|14 - Directing Unit - "DNA - Week 7"

Meeting 

Looking at our schedule, we realised that we were unable to block the Lea and Phil scenes due to India's absence, so we thought we should get started with one of those. The one thing we both think is missing from the scenes is the intensity of worry, fear and concern, therefore Alex said he would do some developing work on the rest of the cast until I've blocked one of Lea and Phil's scenes. I told Alex my plan of direction, how it would be simple staging and I will mainly be focusing on Phil's reactions and how Lea conveys herself. 

Rehearsal

We felt the cast had a good energy and focus and therefore we felt that if we started a game they may feel liable to get too hyper and less focused. I took Lea and Phil away, as I felt it worked really well with Felix and Freya to explain the context of the scene I decided to do the same with this scene. This meant me telling them how Lea could be seen as the 'moral voice' within the play, showing glimpse of hope within each scene of how they can resolve the situation. The scene concludes on a key moment when Lea asks "If you can change one thing, you can change the world?" Dennis himself felt this moment might well be the heart of the play. I agree as I feel the play deals with the effects a situation has on a group and the consequences it has on the individuals, and although this is just a on a group, we could see the group metaphorically represent a country. I wanted to make Lea understand it's Phil's intelligence and control and how he isolates himself that she finds attractive. They are the balance of each other, where Lea's overriding confidence to talk and display any of her thoughts, Phil is analytic, concise with words and speaks when only he finds necessary. 




We then decided to go through a run through of scene 5. I wanted to bare in mind context, the only points of feedback of the group is to understand what their characters are feeling at this point. The situation is growing more and more difficult and the characters are becoming more desperate in finding a way to resolve the situation. I also want to make it clear of Cathy's growing violent streak and the status she is receiving in the group because of this - maybe having some sort of action between Rachel, the previous clique leader, would show this. Showing Cathy as violent makes it a clear choice for Phil to choose her to carry out the violent plan at the end of scene 5 which is not yet blocked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment