Wednesday 24 April 2013

LESSON FIVE - 24|4|13 - 'Berkoff - Vocal Workshop'

Sir made us stand in a circle and project a humming noise for as long as we could. This was because we were going to focus on ways to develop our vocal's in a way that fits the style of Berkoff's exaggerated and excessive tones that help to define and determine the meaning of his poetical writing style.

We had to produce a humming noise, but alter the pitch and projection to fit a certain emotion. This made us think more about the undertones of what we were actually projecting from our mouths. This is something I will be using whilst choreographing my tone in 'Lunch' so I can pick a correct intonation to help decipher the poetic language. By using a tone that suggests something more than the words themselves, it'll make it easier for the audience to follow. This is different to Stanislavsky, as we are bringing any subtext to surface, and my tone will not be a sarcastic as I had to make in 'The Pillowman' because I am speaking my thoughts which will obviously have a more truthful dialogue.

We were then given the dialogue speech:

"Do you drive? Do you speed
That my Volvo
Slip into the back seat
Do you like the leather on the wheel?
It feels like dead skin wrapped around metal"

Working with Mr Chipp, we devised a quick piece where we returned sentences. I elongated the 'Vol' in 'Volvo' to show how I was proud of my car in which I was allowing him to look at. I also said 'slip' with a fast pace to mimic the meaning of the word. Sir then responded with an uninterested tone, as my car is clearly not to his taste, so everything I say is said with the intent of showing how proud I am of my car which is why I insist on asking him the question. I raised the pitch halfway through the word 'wheel' to mimic the shape and emphasise how interesting I find the car. This is similar to the previous exercise in the way I can incorporate it into 'Lunch' but here I was able to develop the technique through practice of a different piece of text.

I've linked this style into the line where I say 'soon, quickly' as I drag out the 'soon's' to emphasise eagerness and then for 'quickly' I increase the pace to mimic the speed in which I want some communication to happen with the man. This shows the audience that there is a side of the woman that is desperate to become in contact with this man providing the audience to see the fighting conscience behind the woman which provokes humour and a chance to relate to similar feelings they may have had by showing a visual representation of the the battling thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment