Wednesday 12 September 2012

LESSON ONE. 12|09|2012. - 'Subtext'


sub·text/ˈsəbˌtekst/

Noun:An underlying and often distinct theme in a piece of writing or conversation.

I paired up with Chris, and then we were told to have an ordinary conversation. Then repeat it until we knew it my memory.The script of which was:


Chris: Alright love?
Poppy: Yes, thanks.
Chris: Good, how was work?
Poppy: Yeh, good. Not much going on.
Chris: Ah, Jane there?
Poppy: No, ill.
Chris: Again?
Poppy: Yeh, again.
Chris: What was is this time?
Poppy: Just ill, rang in sick last minute.
Chris: Ah. Dave was off.
Poppy: Really? Thought he would’ve needed it.
Chris: He does, he needs the hours.
Poppy: Ah yeh. Money.
Chris: Yeh, not like me eh? I take care of my family.
Poppy: Especially me.

This had no certain meaning behind it, it was improvised and then repeated. Sir then gave us a subtext in which we had to follow. “Chris has been domestically abusing Poppy. It got so bad that a couple of nights ago Chris broke Poppy’s finger. Poppy confided had confided in Jane about the abuse but Chris had found out, and since then Jane has become a rough area to talk about”. 
We were not allowed to change the original script. Only allowed to change the way spoke the lines and the presentation of ourselves. We did this by making sure I sounded more intimidated by him, and he seemed more relaxed but definitely more dominate, this was also shown with the way I was sat down and he was stood up. He also used more intense motions such a neck rubbing, which I then reacted to as threatening which makes the audience know that I am scared of him. When Jane’s name was brought up, I was instantly more stern and scared as I didn’t want any more abuse. The way we could not change the script made me understand that it’s not what you say but  how you say the lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment